LearningDITA.com provides e-learning for individuals who want to explore DITA, the Darwin Information Typing Architecture.
This site was set up by Scriptorium as a hub for DITA and content strategy training.
Frequently asked questions:
- What do I do if I have problems with the site?
- What if I forget my password?
- Do I get a completion certificate?
How do I sign up for a course?
- Create an account.
- Go the list of courses, and click on the course you want to take. On the next page that is displayed, click on the Take this Course button at the top of the page.
What tool should I use?
If you already have an XML editor on your computer, you can use it to complete the exercises. You can also download and install a trial version of an XML editor, or you can use a web-based XML editor.
What do I do I have problems with the site?
Please check the following to ensure the site will work properly as you select and take courses:
- You are logged in to LearningDITA.com.
- You have allowed cookies for the site.
- You have turned off any ad blockers.
- You have whitelisted the site on any firewall you or your company may be using.
- Log out, clear your browser cache, and log back in.
How do I take a course?
- On the first page of the course, click on the first lesson in the Course Content table.
- After reading the lesson introduction, click on the first topic in the Lesson Topics table.
- When you finish reading a lesson topic, click on the Mark Complete button to advance to the next lesson topic:
- Take the quiz at the end of each lesson. Question types include multiple choice, true or false, and drag-and-drop matching. You must score 80 percent or higher on a quiz to move to the next lesson.
What if I forget my password?
Reset it on the lost password page. You can also click profile in the top right corner of the webpage. Navigate to edit profile and update your password.
Do I get a certificate for completing a course?
After you pass the final quiz in a course, select the Click here to continue button, and then select the Download Certificate button on the page confirming course completion.
If you have already completed a course, you can get the certificate by visiting your Profile page, scrolling down to the class you have completed, and selecting the certificate icon beside the course name.
How was the content developed?
The content here is pulled from the open-source DITA training project. Scriptorium started that development project to create a library of DITA learning content and contributed the initial content based on our existing classroom training materials.
The content is written in DITA using the DITA learning specialization. LearningDITA.com runs on WordPress; we created XSLT transforms to publish the content here.
What is the cost?
There is no cost to work through the courses here.
How are you paying for this?
The site is funded in two ways:
- Through content contributions. Many DITA experts have given time and effort to create the needed content. You can see their names and affiliations at the bottom of each course page.
- Through pro bono development. Scriptorium staff have spent numerous hours to build, configure, and maintain this site.
I don’t see a class I need. When will you add it?
We have an informal roadmap for new courses, but no delivery schedule at this time.
We spell it out here.
This DITA thing is hard. Where can I get more help?
Scriptorium offers content strategy and DITA implementation services. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss a consulting engagement.