- Define all of the L&T topic types.
- Understand when to use each topic type.
- List basic elements of each topic type.
The DITA L&T specialization defines five topic types that contain different types of course information:
- <learningPlan>: provides a framework for planning learning content.
- <learningOverview>: contains overall learning objectives and specifics for a course, such as audience, duration, and prerequisites.
- <learningContent>: contains the actual learning content.
- <learningSummary>: contains review materials.
- <learningAssessment>: contains exercises, quizzes, or tests.
These topic types describe a wide range of information. Not everyone will use all of these topic types. For example, the source content for LearningDITA lessons does not use the <learningPlan>, <learningOverview>, or <learningSummary> elements. However, your course development process may require those elements.
This lesson provides an overview of each topic type.